History and Geography
The Gubadli region of the Republic of Azerbaijan was established in 1933. The area of this mainly mountainous region spans 497 square miles (800 square kilometers). Its highest peaks are Topakhaj 6,595 feet (2,010 meters) and Pirdakh 4,318 feet (1,316 meters). Among numerous historical monuments recognized by the government, the most ancient is a cave temple in the Gavur Valley (4th century).
Historical sites include: the Galali (5th century) and Goy Kala (5th century) fortresses in the village of Muradkhanli; Javanshir Fortress in the Yazi Plain; Imamzadeh tombs in the Gurjulu village (17th century); the Anabat monument in the Seytas village; and the Haji Badal bridge (19th century) in the Dondarli village. Aliguluushaghi and Khojamusakhli villages are noted for the Lalazar Bridge (1837). Notably, two tombs in the village of Damirchilar have a significant place in the architectural heritage of Azerbaijan.
Tombs in Damirchilar Village
There are two tower-shaped tombs in the village of Damirchilar. The name of the village means blacksmith and comes from the Azerbaijani damir meaning iron. One of the tombs is located on the right bank of the mountain Aghachay River and the second tomb is located near the Aghachay River, between Damirchilar and Dondarli villages. Due to its advantageous position, the tomb is visible from a remote distance. The building is circular inside and octagonal outside; nonetheless, there are no construction inscriptions. However, historians date both of the tombs date back to the Ilkhanid dynasty of the 13th-14th centuries.
Stone carvings depicting sheep figures from different villages across the region are displayed in front of the local history museum. Many believe that these figures played a role in ancient rituals; among locals, they are considered to be especially important because they were placed inside the temple in the village of Goyarchik.