- The Republic of Azerbaijan is an independent Turkic state in the Caucasus region, located to the east of Europe and west of Asia.
- Azerbaijan’s neighbors include Turkey, Iran, Russia, Georgia, Armenia, and the Caspian Sea.
- In 1918, Azerbaijan was declared the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, making it the first parliamentary republic of the Muslim World.
- It has a population of over 9 million, and the capital city is Baku, located on the Caspian Sea.
- About 94% of the population is Muslim. However, there are also vibrant Christian, Jewish, and other religious communities and temples.
- The official language is Azerbaijani, or Azeri, a language similar to Turkish.
- The literacy rate is 99%.
- Azerbaijan has two UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Gobustan Rock Art Cultural Landscape and Walled City of Baku with the Shirvanshah’s Palace and Maiden Tower
- Azerbaijan has been listed among the world’s fastest growing economies. See this Azerbaijan Country Presentation.